Elmont East End Chemical Engine and Hose Company (703)
LOCATED: 301 Meacham Avenue
Engine Co # 3 of the Elmont Fire Department was organized in May 1924 by a group of neighborhood men who saw that there was a need for a pumper on the East End of town. At the current time only Engine Co # 1 on Gotham Ave, Engine Co #2 on Plainfield Ave, and Truck Co # 1on Elmont Road existed. The men living in the area of Meacham Avenue assembled and raised enough funds to purchase a used 1924 American Lafrance pumper, and the original firehouse, a 24 x 24 wood frame garage. The original firehouse stood on the property, which is now Guidos Deli, and was only torn down several years ago. The original charter members included Jacob Zilm President, William Weber Captain, Eddie Markolf Secretary, August Zunno Financial Secretary, & Charles Krauss Sr. Treasurer.
The Late 1920's brought about big changes for Engine Co #3 and the Elmont area in general. In 1928 all the fire companies of Elmont united together to form one Fire Department. Engines 1,2,3 and trucks 1 & 2 all became part of the Elmont Fire Department.
In 1999 Engine Co # 3 celebrated their 75th Anniversary. Currently Engine 3 operates a 2010 Ferrara pumper, which can pump over 2000 gallons per minute and has state of the art equipment on it. This truck, our 7th rig, was put in to service in September of 2010. Engine Co # 3 currently still owns and responds from there firehouse located at 301 Meacheam Avenue, Elmont N.Y. 11003. There are currently 34 firefighters serving actively in Engine Co # 3.
Engine 3 responds to approximately 800 runs a year, including fires, auto accidents, and various other alarms.